Let me be Colorful

Monday, August 28, 2006

The Closeness of Souls... A Distance Thing

A conversation with a dude I haven't talked to in some time now brought me to thinking a little...
can physical distance between people create space between souls?
I'm not sure.
I can only hope that,
for love's sake,
being beside someone doesn't only reside in proximity
because the closeness of heartbeats
shouldn't determine the strength of the pulse
and if merely hearing their voice can make your stomach do somersaults
then you should be able to fall in love with the soundwaves
and vibrations of their vocal chords.

I've never done the long distance relationship thing,
but I have loved someone in heaven,
so maybe I can sympathize with the way
he's scared of the distance between heartbreats now
nervous that the foundation of emotions
is not strong enough to hold the weight of empty space between fingertips.

so I had to reassure him that love is an out of body experience
that the closeness of bodies can't measure the space between
a love that people look at and compare their own lives to.
Distance doesn't make the heart grow stronger
it can only validate the feelings
that you've already spent late nights and early mornings fixated on.
And there is no doubt that it will be difficult
but a love affair with the mind doesn't need skin on skin to confirm,
although a kiss can speak a thousand words, I'd rather hear it in heartbeats.

So, my friend, I say to you this...
let your heart beat loud enough
that she can hear it echoing through late nights studying,
let her voice make your stomach turn taradactles flapping to be free,
fall in love with the sound of her breath
and be thankful that together your lives are more perfect than apart.

2 Comments:

  • At August 29, 2006 9:12 PM, Blogger C. said…

    Thank you, forreal. Our convo last night had some depth I haven't had a chance to reach in a while.

     
  • At September 03, 2006 7:58 PM, Blogger Star grl said…

    Shara!

    I feel like it wasn't a coincidence that of all the first blogs to read from you it was this one. That hit home for me, and I thank you soo much for your beautiful words. I love every letter.

    *Alicia

     

Post a Comment

<< Home